[mythtv-users] [ANNOUNCE] merging Qt4 branch to trunk

James Bunton jamesbunton at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 19 23:38:00 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 10:34:13AM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> Janne Grunau wrote:
> >
> > The required Qt version will be Qt 4.3.
>
> Oh great, there's at least one long term support distribution (Red Hat 5
> / CentOS 5) that has a Qt library older than that - it's 4.2.1 on CentOS
> 5.1 currently and for the foreseeable future.
>
> 4.3 is too aggressive. Not everyone uses bleeding edge distributions. I
> would argue, actually, that quite a few people prefer to use long term
> support distros to build MythTV dedicated systems. And those distros
> typically use slightly older software versions.

From my own development experience, and what I've heard about other projects
using Qt, the earlier Qt4 versions were quite buggy. You probably wouldn't
want to run Myth with Qt4.2. Unless the MythTV devs work around every bug,
probably by reimplementing the Qt4.3 fixes.

Also, by the time a stable MythTV based on 4.3 is released, it'll likely be in
most of the LTS-type distros anyway.

---

James