[mythtv-users] Random Reboot

Sarah Hayes sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net
Thu Mar 20 01:45:32 UTC 2008

Nathan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am having troubles with a machine that is rebooting on its own.  I
> would like to know if anyone can suggest tools to stress test the
> machine.  Memeory/CPU/Disk/Ethernet, etc...
>
> A bit of history:  I have moved most of the parts from one box to
> another and gone from FC6 to Ubuntu 7.10 and upgraded to .21.  Not sure
> if it is a hardware issue or software.  The machine is fine when not
> running Myth, but then it is really not doing anything.  It seems to
> only reboot while recording, but only once in a while.  Maybe only while
> a remote frontend is connected too, but not sure.  I have a single
> PVR500, and I have checked that each tuner has its own IRQ.  Anything
> else to look at?

Install lm_sensors and see what it reports the voltages as being (plus
reboot in to the BIOS and check there). Yes, a dying (or overloaded) PSU
can cause all manner of weirdness, from crashing through to weird
'wowing' noises from the drives as there spin speed fluctuates.  Check
for fur'd up fans/heat sinks... possibly a dead northbridge fan, as
that's usually where the embedded disk controller is.   memtestx86 can
do the memory, as to overall stress testing... dunno... I'd set a loop
to compile QT3 repeatedly whilst having dd spam the drives with 1GB
chunks of /dev/urandom personally but I'm sure there is a better way.