[mythtv-users] 'Rollbackable' Ubuntu upgrade to 0.21

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 20 03:19:25 UTC 2008

On 03/19/2008 10:39 PM, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> As the guy who wrote the code in Myth that does the database backup, I
>> would recommend you don't (yet) rely on it to provide a backup before
>> the upgrade.
> Very thorough explanation, thanks.  We had automatic backup facilities in place
> "for the upgrade" that we disabled since it was  "in the MythTV code".

Yeah.  It will most likely work on any system that's been successfully
running 0.20, so it's not really bad for someone to expect it to do so.
And, the likelihood of its failing on the "one or two" systems that will
actually need the backup to go back to a 0.20 DB is rather
small--perhaps close to negligible.

I'm just mainly looking to put a disclaimer in here so I don't get
blamed when things go wrong.  :)

> Nonetheless, there is still a weekly cron job that should be running for backing
> up your DB anyway in Ubuntu packages.  Check in /var to see when the last backup
> was.

That's great.  I hope once 0.22 comes out, you'll be able to disable
that in preference to a built-in database backup that ensures it occurs
when it won't affect recordings and that should ensure data integrity.
Perhaps if I quit my job so I'd have more time to spend on all the
things I want to do for Myth...

Mike