[mythtv-users] [ANNOUNCE] merging Qt4 branch to trunk

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 20 13:49:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:10:14AM +0000, Andrew Williams wrote:
> On 19/03/2008, James Bunton <jamesbunton at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > Also, by the time a stable MythTV based on 4.3 is released, it'll likely be in
> > most of the LTS-type distros anyway.
>
> I think this is the key point. the Devs are targeting a system that's
> 8-12 months in the future. By then we'll be looking at 4.3 or above
> being in every stable distro around. If you want to run SVN now then
> you'll be making concessions no matter what the distro.
>
> I get the feeling that a few people on here want everything on a
> silver platter, bleeding edge software without wanting to take the
> consequences of running bleeding edge software.

More likely a philosophical difference. In the world of Windows
desktops, 8-12 months is a very long time - somebody who buys a high-end
gaming system today might need still need an upgrade to run next year's
hot new games.

In the world of big UNIX servers, 8-12 months is how long you go between
patch+reboot cycles (and don't even ask about platform upgrades). Linux
is falling in to that same pattern more and more often. Even though mass
media outlets and certain commercial vendors like to label Linux as
being for people who like to tinker, there are plenty of people who use
Linux/BSD because they can set it up once and mostly ignore it from then
on. That approach is part of the reason the support lifetimes for Debian
stable, Ubuntu LTS, and RHEL releases is pretty long, and why they
almost never add a new release of any package (so current releases of
those will never package Qt 4.3 unless it's added to a backports or
third-party repository). Some people also run lots of stuff on one
machine - upgrading the myth+mail+asterisk+samba+kitchensink systems
some people run is a little bigger than just a MythTV machine.

But I'm wandering a little off the subject. At this point I think the
idea is out there and the developers can think/talk about it (or not, if
they don't think it's worthwhile). Or maybe they already did and that's
why they picked 4.3 instead of 4.2 or 4.4.

--
Michael Heironimus