[mythtv-users] Howto prevent MythTV flushing/Syncing disk writes (LiveTV/Recordings) [ SOLVED ]

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 16:34:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:48 AM, Allan Stirling
<Dibblahmythml0015 at pendor.org> wrote:
> Albert Graham wrote:
>  > When reviewing the source I could see why things are done the way they
>  > are,
>
>  You appear to be missing one reason.
>
>  When a slave backend is NFS mounted, as far as I understand
>  it, a recording won't appear on the server (and thus other
>  frontends) until it's synced.

Not true. Be default, all NFS shares are exported and mounted
synchronous. No one mounts a read/write NFS shares asynchronous
because the risk for data loss is huge.

Which means that the slave will be flushing writes to the server all the time.

Which means that all clients mounting the share will see the recordings.

Even if you did mount the share asynchronous, the first bits of data
will get flushed to the NFS server within 30-60 seconds if not sooner,
I can't imagine that anyone would allow more data than that to sit in
memory buffers. So I think your argument is a non-issue.

-Dave