[mythtv-users] Two questions about 0.21

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Mar 20 18:05:34 UTC 2008

On Mar 20, 2008, at 10:53 AM, clemens at dwf.com wrote:

> Two questions:
>
> (1) I see a number of postings o the form f8/0.21.
> They dont seem to say that 0.21 will ONLY run with f8, but its not
> clear.
> Will 0.21 run with fc6? (Id rather not be in the middle of two
> updates at once)

Yes, but you might have better luck upgrading to F8, then to 0.21 only
because packagers will stop supporting FC6 as soon as Fedora stops
supporting it which will be when F9 comes out. I know you don't want
to run an OS that doesn't have any way to get new security updates,
right? :)

> (2) Does 0.21 do any threading?
> With the multiCPU processors (yes I have an Intel Core 2 Dual), it
> would seem
> that the time for threading has come.

When running the frontend, there is an option in the playback to allow
more than a single CPU. This seems to work on my AMD64 X2 4200+, but I
don't often go over 1 core on that machine when playing back anyway.
No idea about the transcoding/commflagging stuff. Not sure I want that
stuff using more than a full core anyway. If I did, I would set it to
run more than 1 job at a time.

-Brad