[mythtv-users] Does anyone have a good HD solution?

Jason spuppet at comcast.net
Thu Mar 20 18:15:19 UTC 2008

> On Mar 20, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Phil Bridges wrote:
>>

>> I don't think that's indicative of only Time Warner - a lot of cable
>> providers encrypt everything but locals (and shopping channels).
>
> I haven't heard of any cable system that sends things as clear QAM
> unless they are required to (except the PPV stuff, that seems to
> usually be in the clear).
>
> I'm not sure if this is the typical mindset of the cable companies or
> if it is mandated by the program suppliers.

Comcast where I'm at (San Mateo, CA) sends a few extras in unencrypted QAM
at the moment.  The selection is a bit more than the basic set of
channels, but less than the full expanded set (basic + expanded =
standard).

Channels have been dropping out of this set though, and I think it's
related to Comcast eliminating a channel in the analog cable set and
moving it to digital only.

I expect that, over time, I'll just see those channels that the FCC
requires on clear QAM.  That was part of my motivation for getting the
FireWire box working and will be my motivation for the Hauppauge card.

(I do enjoy surfing through the PPV channels, though (101.2 - 104.11
here).  Some of my neighbors have interesting viewing habits.  :)

Jason