[mythtv-users] Compaq Evo D51S

Alex Harford harford at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 04:36:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> I'm seeing Evo D51S units, with a 1.7 Ghz. Celeron and 512MB RAM for
>  $89, 2Ghz. for $99.

According to this page:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11349_na/11349_na.HTML

They can take up to a 533MHz FSB 2.53GHz P4.  I wonder if they could
take a 800 MHz FSB Hyperthreaded 2.8 GHz P4.  I'm not experienced
enough with processors/chipsets to comment.

>  Anybody using one of these as a frontend? I'm wondering if it can
>  handle HD. An AGP video card capable of XvMC might help.

I don't have the experience with that exact setup but I would guess
no.  I had to go from a 2.4 to 2.8HT processor in my Pundit to do 480p
reliably.  Although that was through a PCI video card.

But those look like a good deal for an SD frontend!

Alex