[mythtv-users] Compaq Evo D51S

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Fri Mar 21 16:52:40 UTC 2008

>On Mar 20, 2008, at 10:36 PM, Alex Harford wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>>> I'm seeing Evo D51S units, with a 1.7 Ghz. Celeron and 512MB RAM for
>>> $89, 2Ghz. for $99.
>>
>> According to this page:
>>
>> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11349_na/11349_na.HTML
>>
>> They can take up to a 533MHz FSB 2.53GHz P4.  I wonder if they could
>> take a 800 MHz FSB Hyperthreaded 2.8 GHz P4.  I'm not experienced
>> enough with processors/chipsets to comment.
>>
>>> Anybody using one of these as a frontend? I'm wondering if it can
>>> handle HD. An AGP video card capable of XvMC might help.
>>
>> I don't have the experience with that exact setup but I would guess
>> no.  I had to go from a 2.4 to 2.8HT processor in my Pundit
>to do 480p
>> reliably.  Although that was through a PCI video card.
>>
>> But those look like a good deal for an SD frontend!
>
>Perhaps, but I really hate to buy anything these days that won't
>handle HD. A MediaMVP can handle SD and is a LOT smaller and quieter,
>as well as "greener".
>
>I'm surprised a 2.4Ghz. P4 couldn't handle 480p, maybe the PCI video
>card was the limitation. Theoretically a 600Mhz. P3 can deal with
>MPEG2 at DVD resolution, at least that's the point at which the
>manufacturers stopped putting hardware MPEG decoders in their
>machines
>with DVD drives. Of course Myth is doing a lot more than just
>decoding
>MPEG, but still...
>
>beww

If going for just SD, you could pick up a cheap laptop on ebay with svideo
or rca out for around $100. I've seen them go all the time. You can easily
get a P3 900mhz or so, plenty to play back sd. Also, those use very little
power (around 15 to 20 watts). I always wonder why I never hear of any one
using laptops for myth boxes. I have myth on my laptop and it's a great
portable mythbox (with wireless too)
-Steve