[mythtv-users] Am I on crack

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Mar 21 17:13:10 UTC 2008

>  That's not true. I can go back to LiveTV because I have 5 tuners (plus
>  2 virtual tuners). It'll just pick the next one in the line and
>  happily present me with what's on right now. Maybe adding another
>  tuner is the solution to your LiveTV woes.

Perhaps I'm not explaining myself well. Let me try to put in another
way. The way to solve this specific problem would be to allow you to
enter LiveTV mode on the tuner thats already recording and drop you
right back into it's stream. In terms of linux, think of it as
backgrounding a process. You go and run some other commands, and then
you forground that original process. You don't stop the process and
restart it later. You don't start a second instance of the process. It
just happily works away why you worry about other things, and then you
just pick it back up.

>  I would NOT want to watch
>  LiveTV, hit record because what was on happened to be interesting,
>  then have my kid on another frontend in another room hit LiveTV, see
>  the crappy "dad show" on, and change the channel to watch something
>  else.

And back to my backgrounding analogy, just like in linux, when you
background a process somebody else just can come along and grab it for
you. The system remembers who the process belongs to. Likewise, the
myth master server would remember what frontend backgrounded the tuner
and only allow that on to grab hold of it again.

>  That being said, someone did write a patch a while back against 0.20
>  that would allow you to watch LiveTV, exit out and have it continue to
>  record while you did other stuff, then when you entered LiveTV again,
>  it brought you back to where you left off. I don't remember who did it
>  and it seemed like a cool feature to have but it never made it into
>  trunk. If you are looking to implement something like this, I would
>  search for this patch and use it as a starting-off point.

I didn't know anyone had ever done that. That would be a handy
starting point, but I know I've searched before and never found any
hint that anybody had attempted it. Maybe knowing that something
actually does exist, I'll be able to find it (sometimes it seems to
help knowing you aren't just searching aimlessly for something thats
not there).

--
Ron