[mythtv-users] [Copfilter] Copy of quarantined email - *** SPAM *** [8.3/4.0] Re: Am I on crack

robb at boardman.me.uk robb at boardman.me.uk
Fri Mar 21 18:32:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> >  No.  The logic isn't flawed.  You just disagree with the premise that
>  >  whatever channel you were on when you exited LiveTV is less interesting
>  >  than some favorite channel(s).
>  >

>  I'm sorry, but it is. People would like too accomplish a specific
>  task. A suggestion is made that accomplishes something entirely
>  different but is passed off as an acceptable solution to the original
>  question.
>

>  >  Yeah.  I'm sure there are tons of jewels of TV programming that air when
>  >  you're not watching that channel and when you don't have anything
>  >  scheduled to record on that channel.  Especially since "that channel" is
>  >  whatever channel you happened to be on when you exited LiveTV.  What a
>  >  great way to find what's on.  I guess you play the lottery a lot, too..  :)
>
>  A) Thanks for just resorting to slinging mud at me with the lottery
>  remark and all the sarcasm. That was uncalled for, but I suppose that
>  was easier than trying too understand the issue.

Hitler! Nazis! ok, now that we got that out of the way....

>  B) This isn't about random stuff that happened to be on at some random
>  time while you are away. It's more specific than that. For example:
>
>  Lets say you have some spare time and nothing record, so you watch
>  live tv and find something reasonably interesting. Yeah I know you
>  probably don't work like that, but just try to pretend for a moment
>  that not everyone in the world is like you. You decide you need to do
>  something else on the system (maybe something in mythflix, or checking
>  the weather, or movie showtimes, or 100 other things). You can't exit
>  LiveTV because it will stop recording the program, so you need to
>  start recording it first. You go do whatever you need to, but now in
>  order to continue, you can't go back to LiveTV. You have to go to a
>  recording instead. But that now means you can't switch channels if you
>  lose interest in the show. You have to exit, stop the recording, and
>  switch back to live TV.

so perhaps a dialog box needs to exist when in live tv, after you hit
"Record" so that if you change channels it asks if you want to
continue that recording or change the channel. IIRC, Tivo does this,
but I haven't used a Tivo in like 4 years...

>  You have to juggle 2 different modes to serve basically the same
>  function, when ideally it should be seamless. Again, I have no problem
>  with people not having an interest in coding it up. Thats perfectly
>  fine. Its just the matter of suggesting something completely different
>  and then pretending like that somehow satisfies the original issue, or
>  that it should at least be good enough for them because its perfectly
>  fine for you (not you specifically, Mike...lots of people in general).
>

>  >  There has /never/ been a case of the MythTV developers imposing their
>  >  will on others and forcing them to use MythTV the way they think it
>  >  should be used.  MythTV is open source, after all
>
>  In the code? No, theres definitely no imposing will. But in the posts
>  I see it all the time. "Why would you want to do A? I have zero
>  interest in A. Just do B instead and you'll be just as happy as me".

usually by non-dev's. I don't think I've ever seen an active dev
respond like that to anyone.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!