[mythtv-users] Resolution on setup screens

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 22 03:42:52 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2008, at 8:02 PM, Harry Devine wrote:
>

>> On my F8 desktop on my TV (I have a
>> 46" Samsung DLP HDTV), I can only see the very bottom of the
>> taskbar/menubar that goes across the top.  Just enough to be able to
>> click on one of the menus and have them drop down to do what I need.
>> But I can't see the menubar at all.  No time, etc.
>>

> You're experiencing overscan.
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Overscan
>
> If that page doesn't satisfy your needs, try looking through the
> archives. Searching for your particular TV might even produce a
> modeline that will help you.
>
> -Brad

OK, I found the user manual for my TV online, and it says the following
for DTV (I'm assuming that I don't need to worry about the VGA, XGA,
SVGA, or VESA values given):

Mode      Resolution      Horizontal Freq.   Vertical Freq.   Pixel
Clock      Sync Polarity
DTV        1920x1080i   33.75                   60
74.25                     X
                1280x720p    45.00                   60
  74.25                     X
                720x483p      31.47
60                     27                         X

How do I go about transferring this to a Modeline value in my
xorg.conf?  I did find the following link in the Wiki
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Modeline_Database) but my TV isn't
listed.  Should I just mimic the modeline values, substituting the
values for my TV above?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question.  I'm still fairly new to how
the modelines, etc. in xorg.conf work.

Thanks for the help,
Harry