[mythtv-users] Installing SVN to multiple machines

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 22 18:18:51 UTC 2008

On 03/22/2008 02:05 PM, Robin Neatherway wrote:
> I run SVN and have a slowly growing number of machines running Myth in
> my house. I was wondering if anybody had some clever thoughts about
> easy ways to roll out a compiled version to multiple machines. Copying
> the source directory over or using an NFS mount doesn't always work -
> for instance, a compiled version on my Gentoo box doesn't "make
> install" properly on an Ubuntu machine (it tries to cd to /src/moc, so
> perhaps some $PREFIX is being lost). Is there an easy process to make
> a .deb or even just a tarball I could extract to /usr/local that would
> populate the necessary directories?

I would not recommend this on anything other than /identical/ machines
(identical software--same distro, same installed versions), but I
compile on one machine (per architecture) and then tar up the SVN source
directory, scp it across the 'net, untar it, and do a make install.  On
non-identical systems (i.e. like your Ubuntu and Gentoo systems), it's
likely to rebuild, anyway (even if you work around the QT location
issues), because libs, headers, etc. are different.

So, basically, I'd recommend you switch all your systems to the same
distro with the exact-same, identically-versioned software installed if
you want to "shortcut" the configure/make/make install process.

If you don't make them identical, at least set up ccache (there are good
HOWTO's for both Gentoo and Ubuntu).  It makes recompiling quite
bearable (though, really, it only helps when much of Myth is the same as
before, so you either do a lot of short compiles for frequent upgrades
or one longer compile with less-frequent upgrades that may be about
equivalent to all the short compiles).

Mike