[mythtv-users] Installing SVN to multiple machines

Robin Neatherway robthebob at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 19:30:47 UTC 2008

>  I would not recommend this on anything other than /identical/ machines
>  (identical software--same distro, same installed versions), but I
>  compile on one machine (per architecture) and then tar up the SVN source
>  directory, scp it across the 'net, untar it, and do a make install.  On
>  non-identical systems (i.e. like your Ubuntu and Gentoo systems), it's
>  likely to rebuild, anyway (even if you work around the QT location
>  issues), because libs, headers, etc. are different.
>
>  So, basically, I'd recommend you switch all your systems to the same
>  distro with the exact-same, identically-versioned software installed if
>  you want to "shortcut" the configure/make/make install process.
>
>  If you don't make them identical, at least set up ccache (there are good
>  HOWTO's for both Gentoo and Ubuntu).  It makes recompiling quite
>  bearable (though, really, it only helps when much of Myth is the same as
>  before, so you either do a lot of short compiles for frequent upgrades
>  or one longer compile with less-frequent upgrades that may be about
>  equivalent to all the short compiles).

Good thoughts thanks. I use ccache currently, and it is very useful
for frequent upgrades. Your comment about libs and headers seems to
square with my experience unfortunately. I think I may try the tarball
approach below, if I experience problems with that I'll have to do it
the standard way.

--
Robin