[mythtv-users] Installing SVN to multiple machines

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 22 19:53:44 UTC 2008

On 03/22/2008 03:36 PM, Robin Neatherway wrote:
>>  > Is there an easy process to make
>>  > a .deb or even just a tarball I could extract to /usr/local that would
>>  > populate the necessary directories?
>>
>>  I do a "make install INSTALL_ROOT=/tmp/myth" then cd to /tmp/myth and
>>  make a tarball. Then on each of my FEs and BEs, I cd to / and untar.
>>  It's not pretty, but it works.
>>
>>  To uninstall, I manually delete files.
> Very good, I'll give this a go.

But remember if you have non-compatible library versions (or even
slightly different architectures resulting in different instruction sets
being used), you may be installing non-working binaries onto your other
(non-build) system.

Basically, if you're trying to go across distributions, not only are you
taking on the responsibilities of a packager (and look how busy Axel and
Mario* stay with that job ;), but you're trying to make packages that
work on multiple distros (with all their differences--layout,
configuration, installed libraries, library versions, ...).  I still say
identical is the best bet if you don't want to compile on each system.
If you don't have identical systems, you should really compile on each
distro (i.e. if you have 2 Ubuntu systems).

Mike

*I'm leaving Doug out of this list because (IMprobably-naiveO)--by
virtue of Gentoo's building from source--he doesn't have to deal with a
lot of the "compile once for multiple different systems" issues.