[mythtv-users] Database setup

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 23 01:10:12 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/22/2008 08:05 PM, Harry Devine wrote:
>
>> I can do all of those commands fine.  I even followed the suggestion of
>> another post where I did the "drop database mythconverg" command, then
>> ran thru the steps in that Wiki article you sent me.  All went well,
>> BUT, when I run mythtv-setup I'm getting the same "Host <ip> is not
>> allowed to connect to this MySQL server" error.
>>
>> How can I completely remove all of the mysql stuff and get back to a
>> clean slate?
>>

> First, I'm assuming that you did /not/ configure MythTV (in the Database
> Configuration popup that appeared the first time you started
> mythtv-setup) to use the MySQL root user.  Therefore any test with
> "-uroot" is irrelevant.  Most likely you configured MythTV to use the
> mythtv user in MySQL, so you need to test with "-umythtv".
>
> Also, the hostname you specified in that Database Configuration popup is
> important.  It's used to make the connection.  So, you may just need to
> reset the MythTV database configuration (which you do with "rm
> ~/.mythtv/config.xml") and then restart mythtv-seutp.  Then, before
> clicking Next (or whatever the button is), test the username, password,
> and hostname/IP address you specify with:
>
> mysql -h<hostname> -u<username> -p <database_name>
>
> (and type in your password at the prompt).  The <hostname> should be the
> hostname or IP address you give to MythTV (i.e. some computer name or
> localhost or 127.0.0.1 or ...).  Once you can make a connection like
> that, you can submit the Database Configuration popup and mythtv-setup
> should work.
>
> Note the lack of a space after the MySQL command-line argument (i.e.
> "-h" and "-u") and the value that follows it.  It is /critical/ that you
> do not put a space there (while it often works with just -u, when adding
> other arguments, it won't).  So, an example of how to connect to a
> database on hostname "mythhost" with username "mythtv" with database
> name "mythconverg" is:
>
> mysql -hmythhost -umythtv -p mythconverg
>
> Note, also, there is a big difference between "-hmythhost" and
> "-hmythhost.mydomain".  You need to use exactly what you specify to MythTV.
>
> Mike

The only way that I could connect to the DB  in mythtv-setup was to
change the username and password to root (and it's password).  It
wouldn't work using the mythtv user.  I know that using root is probably
not optimal, so that's part of the reason why I'd like to completely
scrap the mythconverg database and start over with it.  Also, I entered
the command that you listed above, and it gave me "Access denied for
user 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.200' (using password: YES)".

Thanks!
Harry