[mythtv-users] IR Blaster sadness

Steve Wilson mythtv_arizona at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 23 02:01:59 UTC 2008

--- Trevor Hill <trevor.hill at gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't posted here in a while.  I had a MythTV
> box that ran flawlessly
> for about three years with only minor updates until
> it gave up the ghost a
> few weeks ago.  I broke down and bought almost a
> whole new set of parts
> (motherboard, processor, hard driver, etc.) rather
> than trying to figure out
> which of the parts on my old machine had failed.
> Everything is going well!
> Except for the IR blaster.  I have a motorola
> receiver (for StarChoice) and
> a plain old RS232 IR blaster I got from
> irblaster.info.
>
> The configuration looks okay -- I've followed the
> directions at
> http://www.htpcug.com/blaster.htm.  When I try to
> run the change channel
> script, I don't get any errors or weird log entries,
> but nothing happens.
> The doubly strange thing: the LED on the blaster
> that is supposed to blink
> when a signal is sent is on constantly from some
> point during the startup
> process (I'm not exactly sure where) until I turn
> the machine off.  This is
> obviously not normal. :)
>
> I had it running on COM1 (IRQ4) at first.  After
> that didn't go very well, I
> tried switching it to COM2.  When I'd changed the
> IRQ of the single serial
> port in the BIOS but hadn't reconfigured the
> modprobe.conf yet, the LED on
> the blaster obviously didn't come on for that
> reboot.  However, when I fixed
> up modprobe.conf and rebooted again, we were back to
> the old situation: LED
> on all the time, no signals being sent, no error
> messages.
>
> Any ideas?  I've mostly ruled out lircd.conf and
> such being a problem as
> that wouldn't cause the IR blaster to not send any
> signals at all, just send
> the wrong ones.
>
> My current modprobe.conf:
>
> [snip]
> alias char-major-61-0 lirc_i2c
> alias char-major-61-1 lirc_serial
> options lirc_serial irq=3 io=0x2f8
> ####IR setup####
> install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe
> --ignore-install
> lirc_i2c
> install lirc_serial setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart none;
> /sbin/modprobe
> --ignore-install lirc_serial
> [/snip]
>
> rc.local:
>
> /sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c
> /sbin/modprobe lirc_serial
> /usr/sbin/lircd --device=/dev/lirc0
> --output=/dev/lircd
> /usr/sbin/lircd --driver=default --device=/dev/lirc1
> --output=/dev/lircd1
> --pidfile=/var/run/lircd1.pid
>

> # ls -al /dev/lirc*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     5 2008-03-21 20:23
> /dev/lirc -> lirc0
> crwxrwxrwx 1 root lirc 61, 0 2008-03-21 20:23
> /dev/lirc0
> [...]

I assume you've done the setup in the link since you
have a remote control as well. Does the remote work?

Also, I'd try to manually start lirc to see if any
errors popup so I'd comment out the lines in rc.local
and then I'd do each modprobe then start lirc. I'd
also add the --logfile switch to lirc. I'd then do a
dmesg | grep lirc to see if it says anything doesn't
look right. After that, I'd manually try sending one
code at a time in a terminal to see if it gives you
any errors.

#irsend --device=/dev/lircd1 SEND_ONCE
"REMOTE_NAME_in_lircd" 1