[mythtv-users] Confused about Video Settings Directories

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 02:25:28 UTC 2008

I think I learned something the hard way today, and I wanted to make sure I
am understanding things correctly, and also see if there is something I
could have done to avoid my problem.  I've had MythTV setup for a couple of
years now, with a BE/FE, and a couple of stand-alone FE's.  I've pretty much
always had my ripped DVD's and other videos (transcoded mythtv videos, and
other assorted videos that I've downloaded over the years) saved out on a
separate NAS server.  Lately I've started working on importing IMDB
information for my DVD's and videos, where applicable.  I've also recently
been playing around with running the frontend on an older Mac Mini running
OS X.  Today I wanted to see how some of the DVD's and videos played on the
Mac Mini.  So, I used Go --> Connect to Server under Finder to mount my NFS
video share on the NAS server.  I then went to the Media Settings --> Video
Settings --> General section under Setup and entered in the directory where
Finder had mounted the share.  When I went to view the videos they weren't
being listed correctly.  I then went to Video Manager under Setup which
forced a scan of the video folder that I had setup.  As it was scanning it
complained about missing videos under the NFS directory that I use on my
Linux boxes.  When it asked about removing from the database I selected "Yes
to all".  When this was complete the video listing were showing up
correctly, but much to my disappointment I found that all the information
that I had imported from IMDB was not showing up.  Even when I went back to
one of my Linux frontends where I had done a lot of the work all the IMDB
information was gone.

After thinking about it a bit, I guess I understand why the information was
gone; when I said "Yes to all" under the Video Manager on the Mac Mini it
removed all the information from the database which I'm now assuming is
stored with a full path name.  Where my confusion comes in is that I always
thought the video folder settings were frontend specific.   I guess I've
just been lucky that I always use the same naming convention when I mount my
shares on the Linux boxes.  My question is besides making sure that I always
mount the NAS NFS share the same way under all systems, including the Mac,
is there anything else I could have or should have done prevent the
information from disappearing?  Where I'm concerned is you never know when
there could be some type of issue mounting the NFS share, and if someone
other than myself was using a frontend they could easily wipe out all the
information again with a simple "Yes to all".