[mythtv-users] SOLVED Re: HD Playback (on a SD tv)

Jon jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 22:46:45 UTC 2008

On Mar 21, 2008, at 1:53 PM, Jon Bishop wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2008, at 5:03 AM, Jon wrote:
>
>> Okay, I need some help getting my playback settings working. I
>> can't seem to find settings that work.
>>
>> I got the recording side of things working (with the HD cards and
>> such), but now I can't get the frontend to play them. It stutters
>> a bunch. I can play the files from mplayer fine though.
>>
>> Setup:
>>
>> Master Backend:
>> P4 2.4ghz
>> 1gig ram
>> 2x Pinnacle HDTV pci cards
>> multiple drives.
>>
>> Slave Backend/Frontend
>> P4 2.8HT
>> 1gig Ram
>> 1x Hauppage WinTV-Go Plus (bt878) pci card
>> Nvidia GeForce4 Mx 4000 128mb
>>
>> I have a NFS share to /mnt/myth (my recordings dir) setup, but
>> currently myth isn't aware of it.
>>
>> When I play the files through the frontend (and I've tried ALL
>> KINDS of playback profiles) they're all stuttery and at first I
>> thought it was network lag, but when I run mplayer from the
>> command line, it plays them just fine. Anyone wanna give me some
>> pointers? The roomies are joking about getting a dish DVR as a
>> backup for when I upgrade. We haven't had a working myth system in
>> a week... and my bt878 card STILL has audio sync issues... but I
>> think that might be resolved with a new kernel, the pinnacle
>> driver problems were resolved by upgrading from 2.6.22 to 2.6.24
>> (had to compile it myself though).
>>
>> ~Jon
>
> Would it help if I pasted my dmesg and xorg or something? I tried
> putting an ATI 2600 HD card in it (they released linux drivers on
> the 8th that are supposed to support it) but couldn't get the TV
> out working. So I put the nvidia card back in. I can ONLY get it to
> playback using the Standard decoder with xv-blit rendered and the
> OSD doesn't seem to make a difference (I've got fade turned off on
> all of them though). I have gotten it to the point where it will
> play Leno without stuttering, now his voice is just really low.
> Same with the Nightly news. It's almost as if it's playing at half
> or 3/4 speed.
>
> Any ideas? (please don't tell me that my hardware is insufficient.
> I really would rather go buy a hard drive than a video card)
>
> ~Jon

Okay, so most of my problems were lack of understanding of the nvidia
options that could go in xorg.conf. I still think that it could
probably be configured better, but I got it playing video without any
jerkiness or sync issues. If anybody's interested I'll post my xorg,
and the settings I've got working.

~Jon