[mythtv-users] Am I on crack

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Mon Mar 24 03:38:26 UTC 2008

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008, Ronald Frazier wrote:

> start recording it first. You go do whatever you need to, but now in
> order to continue, you can't go back to LiveTV. You have to go to a
> recording instead. But that now means you can't switch channels if you
> lose interest in the show. You have to exit, stop the recording, and
> switch back to live TV.

In the spirit of this thread, "While I may not have a solution to your
specific request, it brings up a thought that MAY be another way to give you
what you want." :-)

This example highlights a general issue that keeps comming up, the lack of
integration between features. What I think may partially solve your problem
would be a connection between the program guide and recorded content.

Suppose entries in the guide were linked to that episode if it was already
recorded. This opens up some interesting possibilities. Namely:

  o  You hit record , then exit out. You are back in the guide, and can
browse, or pick up where you left off.

  o You browse the guide back in time to something marked for record.
Instead of just tuneing to what is on that chanel now, you would actualy go
from the guide to that recording.

  o Likewise, if you went to watch something on live TV that was already
recorded yesterday, you could (at least be given the option to) be linked to
the already recorded version, instead of tying up a tuner for something that
is already on the disk.

  o If someone uses Live TV to watch something that is currently being
recorded, they would pick up the existing stream, instead of tying up
another tuner.

  Here's another idea that may help twards what you are talking about. My
(10 year old) TV has a 'Surf' button. It lets you define a sub-set of
channels that you can cycle through, instead of all those the TV can
actually tune. Suppose you could set up a 'surf' list equal to the number of
tuners you have available. Then you could switch between them fairly
quickly.