[mythtv-users] Black preview images in 0.21?

Marc Sherman msherman at projectile.ca
Mon Mar 24 14:21:11 UTC 2008

nospam312 wrote:

> Is it possible to change this back to how it was in 0.20?  Perhaps
> using a slightly higher frame number by default (e.g. instead of using
> frame 1 use 5 to see if that is better) I do not believe the AVI
> thumbnail ever made use of the Time Offset For Thumbnail Preview value
> it was always a thumbnail of the 5th frame or so?

My guess is that what you were seeing was the interaction of two
different bugs. In 0.20, the internal player had a bug where it wouldn't
start AVI files at the very beginning, but rather a few seconds in (the
amount seems to vary from file to file). It seems that the preview image
was always taken from what the internal player _thought_ was the first
frame of the file, but because of that bug, was actually a few seconds in.

If you're seeing the very first frame now, then I guess that the start
bug has been fixed in 0.21, which I'm glad to hear; I haven't upgraded
yet, but that bug really annoys me, and gives me a very good reason to
do so.

- Marc