[mythtv-users] I set up my MythTV system the hard way!

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 14:45:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Darryl Hirschler <
Darryl.Hirschler at practiceworks.com> wrote:

>  I am a Linux and MythTV newbie.  I fooled around with Mythbuntu, and not
> really sure why I decided to do this, but I decided to abandon Mythbuntu and
> go at it from scratch.  So I did the following:
>
> - I still have to configure LIRC for my remote
>
> - I have to figure out permissions between "mythtv" user, "darryl" user,
> and "root".  I am still a little confused by some of this.  Currently,
> "darryl" can launch myth-backend and start mythtv, but "mythtv" user cannot.
>
> - disable the screen saver

Congratulations!!  You're where I was almost 2 years ago.  I had never used
Linux or Myth before.  Words like compile, make, permissions, modprobe,
dmesg were like a foreign language.

I personally think you did the right thing by assembling it yourself, rather
than using one of the all-in-one distros.  At the time I started with
Knoppmyth (which is/was an impressive piece of work).  But I got fustrated
whenever I tried to change something from the defaults.  The response on
their forum was always - don't try to upgrade anything separately, the whole
thing  might break.

So - I went the way of Fedora (mostly inspired by Jarod's guide).  I think
Fedora or Ubuntu really are the two choices if you're starting from scratch
these days and don't have history.  By pulling it together yourself, you're
in a much better position to fix things when they go wrong.

LIRC also foxed me for a while.  It's kind-of confusing between what support
is built into your kernel vs needing something extra, and where the
configuration files need to go.  I use a Microsoft MCE remote - and the
instructions on the Myth wiki for that are very clear and got me straight.

Anyway - enjoy the ride.  The biggest problem imho is becoming addicted,
continually wanting to learn more, fiddle a lot, and it becoming a huge
timesync!