[mythtv-users] List etiquette: Hardware questions and links

Wade Maxfield mythtv at hotblack.co.nz
Mon Mar 24 22:13:31 UTC 2008

Please, please, please:

When talking about hardware, please include the name of an item, and not
just a link to newegg or the manufacturers site. The link is useful to
remove ambiguity, but the item name is the most important bit.

When you don't include the product name, you're making me* do work just
to help you (by having to go to that website by clicking the link and
waiting for the page to load, just to find out what you are talking
about). Doesn't seem like much, but with the volume of messages on this
list, it can all add up. Or if I'm* reading this list on a mobile
device, I'm not likely to go through the hassle.

Bad Example:
QAM/ATSC/NTSC card such as, for example, (
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116016 )

Good Example
QAM/ATSC/NTSC card such as, for example, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 (
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116016 )

  - Wade

* Where "me" and "I" refers to the really helpful other list members who
consistently offer their time and assistance to the list.