[mythtv-users] Foiled by lirc - yet again

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 10:43:06 UTC 2008

In my experience, one of the hardest things to get working in MythTV
has always been infrared remote control. I recently gave up on my
serial port receiver as it was generating errors and had intermittent
issues where it would just stop working, then start again. Intervals
between intermissions got shorter and shorter until it became
unuseable.

So I bought an MCE remote off eBay which arrived today. It's none of
the ones shown on http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MCE_Remote. It
shows up in /var/log/messages as:

Mar 25 21:13:58 elm kernel: usb 3-1: new low speed USB device using
uhci_hcd and address 2
Mar 25 21:13:59 elm kernel: usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Mar 25 21:13:59 elm kernel: input: HOLTEK USB To PS2 Devic as
/class/input/input5
Mar 25 21:13:59 elm kernel: input: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [HOLTEK USB
To PS2 Devic] on usb-0000:00:1d.2-1
Mar 25 21:13:59 elm kernel: input: HOLTEK USB To PS2 Devic as
/class/input/input6
Mar 25 21:13:59 elm kernel: input,hiddev96: USB HID v1.10 Mouse
[HOLTEK USB To PS2 Devic] on usb-0000:00:1d.2-1

My first plan was to run irrecord to create a lircd.conf file. But
when I ran this I got characters sent to the screen rather than dots.
For example, if I held down button 2 for a few seconds, irrecord
displayed lots of 2s rather than lots of dots. I've never seen this
before and I presume it's something to do with the USB device being
detected as "USB HID v1.10 Keyboard".

Does anyone how I get it detected as a "normal" remote control so I
can create a lircd.conf file? I'm concerned that if I just leave it
detected as a keyboard then I won't be able to use all of the buttons
(such as REW, FWD, PLAY, RECORD, Guide etc).

Regards,
Phill