[mythtv-users] Am I on crack

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Mar 25 11:45:29 UTC 2008

>  That sounds great! I hope I can turn it off so my kid doesn't leave it
>  on LiveTV, forget about it, then all my programs expire to make room
>  for LiveTV all night long. Ok, so mine would never do that, but
>  someone's would and we all have to hear about it. ;)

That problem (if it were real) would already exist, because you could
just as well leave it on live TV, forget to exit, and turn off the TV.
However, the first thing to get deleted off disk would be the already
deleted recordings. Next it will go for the oldest LiveTV programs, so
it would just cycle through reusing the same space on disk, never
touching your recordings. Your recordings themselves will never
actually get expired unless it's to make room for other recordings
you've explicitly scheduled.

On top of that, theres also the timeout feature, which will stop live
tv after X minutes of inactivity, and that could just as well apply to
recording live TV in the background. It's currently a "secret" setting
with no gui (there's another thread on it), but I think it's useful
enough that it will hopefully gets its own place in the GUI someday.

So no, we wouldn't have to hear about it.

--
Ron