[mythtv-users] I set up my MythTV system the hard way!

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Mar 25 13:35:03 UTC 2008

> Yes, I had the same feeling when I finally had it all working. All the
> non-geeks around me did not understand why I was so happy about my
> silly computer thing!
>
>> - I have to figure out permissions between "mythtv" user, "darryl" user,
>> and
>> "root".  I am still a little confused by some of this.  Currently,
>> "darryl"
>> can launch myth-backend and start mythtv, but "mythtv" user cannot.
>
> In "Administration" you'll find "Users and groups". There you should
> add the mythtv user to the video group and everything else that looks
> like multimedia.

I've found it useful to define a media user and group and specify
a particular set of uid and gid for these. This is primarily
relevant to having multiple machines talking to each other over
NFS. Users are identified by number rather than name.

I've got a number of machines that are all either installed initially
from Ubuntu 7.10 or some slighly earlier version and the mythtv user
and group vary. This can be a bit of a problem since the master box
will essentially go "Hey! You're not MythTV. No Soup for you".

>> - make it auto-login (to the "mythtv" user?)
>
> Launch "Login Screen Setup" under the "System -> Administration" menu.
> You'll find a setting to autologin a user after 10 seconds or more.

I found with the Ubuntu 7.10 binary packages that all of this sorted
itself out. That's rather good since Ubuntu 7.10 changed some low
level initialization stuff and things you might have setup for 7.04
or earlier would suddenly be invalid.