[mythtv-users] Am I on crack

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Mar 25 13:54:30 UTC 2008

On Mar 25, 2008, at 4:45 AM, Ronald Frazier wrote:

>> That problem (if it were real) would already exist, because you could
> just as well leave it on live TV, forget to exit, and turn off the TV.

It would be MUCH less obvious that LiveTV was left on if it was
running and running but no LiveTV was showing on the screen.

> However, the first thing to get deleted off disk would be the already
> deleted recordings. Next it will go for the oldest LiveTV programs, so
> it would just cycle through reusing the same space on disk, never
> touching your recordings. Your recordings themselves will never
> actually get expired unless it's to make room for other recordings
> you've explicitly scheduled.

Yeah, that's right.

> On top of that, theres also the timeout feature, which will stop live
> tv after X minutes of inactivity, and that could just as well apply to
> recording live TV in the background. It's currently a "secret" setting
> with no gui (there's another thread on it), but I think it's useful
> enough that it will hopefully gets its own place in the GUI someday.
>
> So no, we wouldn't have to hear about it.

You sound like you haven't been on the list very long. We hear about
stuff that isn't a problem all the time. ESPECIALLY when it comes to
LiveTV. Mostly because new users use this feature ALL the time and
more experienced users tend not to. In general, I mean.