[mythtv-users] I set up my MythTV system the hard way!

Darryl Hirschler Darryl.Hirschler at practiceworks.com
Tue Mar 25 14:26:02 UTC 2008

>figure out why digital TV is stuttering

I thought I'd give an update in this area.  I figured out why digital TV
was stuttering.  It was because the signal was crap.  And the signal was
crap because... (I am almost ashamed to admit this)... I had the coax
splitter connected wrongly.  So the main input was connected to one of
the outputs on the splitter.  It's amazing just how much your signal
improves when you connect it up properly.  :-/

I still get some stuttering in the HD channels, but it is very rhythmic
and I am assuming my processor can't keep up.  Maybe I can take some of
the load off by making sure I have the proper Nvidia driver installed.
Or maybe I haven't setup the hdd for UDMA (can't remember).  I've used
this Dvico card in a lesser-powered Windows box before and HDTV was
watchable, but it had the occasional dropped frame.  Interestingly, I
would think it should be able to record the HD show without problem, but
it had the same rhythmic stuttering on playback.  So I guess it could
still be either the hdd/UDMA or the video driver.

Darryl