[mythtv-users] MythTV internal player crashes on H264 video

James Bunton jamesbunton at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 25 15:21:17 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've just started using the MythTV internal player for all my videos with
MythVideo and I've noticed that it cannot play my Futurama videos.

Playing the videos causes Myth to crash within a few seconds. It's very easy
to reproduce, here's a sample file.
http://delx.net.au/files/20080326-crashmyth.avi
Trying to play this with MythVideo, or with the mythtv command causes a crash.
This seems to happen regardless of what playback profile I use.

This is the first 30 seconds of the Australian Futurama DVDs (PAL 576i),
ripped with mencoder using the x264 and faac codecs. The file plays flawlessly
with Mplayer, VLC, Xine and Quicktime.

I'm using MythTV 0.21 with the Kubuntu 7.10 backport packages. If necessary I
can build from source to give you a stack trace.

Anybody have any ideas? Should I perhaps post this to mythtv-dev instead?

Thanks.

---

James