[mythtv-users] Cable box always on

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Mar 25 23:12:24 UTC 2008

On Mar 25, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:

> Hello all. I'm using a channel changer script with an ir blaster to
> change my cable box channels for recordings. I'm sure a lot of myth
> people do this.
>
> So does everyone just leave the cable box on all the time? Or is
> there something that can be done to turn it on and off automatically
> in myth (or by an external script)?
>
> I just found a couple of all black recordings...the cable box was
> turned off for some reason. Not sure if it just went off by itself,
> or if someone turned it off accidently, but it was off.
>
> What do you guys do

Leave it on all the time. Most cable STBs are actually "on" even when
they are "off". The signal output may go away but most of the
electronics stays on, receiving info from the headend.

If you don't believe me leave the box off overnight and check to see
how warm it is in the morning.

So you don't save any power by turning it off, and as for increasing
the life of the box, what do you care, it belongs to the cable company.

beww