[mythtv-users] I set up my MythTV system the hard way!

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 01:42:33 UTC 2008

Darryl Hirschler wrote:
>>figure out why digital TV is stuttering
>
> I still get some stuttering in the HD channels, but it is very rhythmic
> and I am assuming my processor can’t keep up.

speed/model?

> Maybe I can take some of
> the load off by making sure I have the proper Nvidia driver installed.

To check if XVMC is working a quick way would be to check in playback
profiles that you have it set to use XVMC for the renderer when viewing
HD resolution. Make sure OSD render is not set to chromakey. Watch TV
and if your OSD is grayscale you have XVMC on properly. If it is still
in color XVMC is not working.
Also in xorg.conf, your driver should be "nvidia" and not "nv" if you're
trying to use the nvidia proprietary binaries.

> Or maybe I haven’t setup the hdd for UDMA (can’t remember).  I’ve used
> this Dvico card in a lesser-powered Windows box before and HDTV was
> watchable, but it had the occasional dropped frame.  Interestingly, I
> would think it should be able to record the HD show without problem, but
> it had the same rhythmic stuttering on playback.  So I guess it could
> still be either the hdd/UDMA or the video driver.

sudo hdparm /dev/hda | grep dma

replace "hda" with your drive, most likely hda if you have it hooked up
to IDE and are booting off the first drive. If you get "0", not using
dma, then do

man hdparm

to find out how to turn on dma.

HTH