[mythtv-users] HOW TO: Early boot backend server from frontend

Bill level42 at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 26 01:45:35 UTC 2008

>>Nice. How long does the gpxe bit of the bootup take?
A few seconds, but about in my config 0.4sec of that is due to a workaround
I've added to the e1000 driver.  The frontend boot is a little longer, but
all in all from frontend power-on to the mythtv menu coming up it is shorter
than the init.d script option as the backend is up earlier.

>>Is there any way to stick this on the hard disk (maybe on a different
>>partition and some kind of boot manager), rather than needing a USB drive?
I don't think so.  It by default generates images for USB keys, CD-ROM and
floppy. In any case a small USB of less than 64MB will work.  But your
motherboard/BIOS must support booting from USB.