[mythtv-users] System hardware recommendation wanted

allene222 nabble at oldpaloalto.com
Wed Mar 26 08:59:57 UTC 2008

For ATSC-HDTV system to output either standard S-Video or 720p (HDMI/HDCP
Projector), need SPDIF (coax) output and some kind of Ir-Rx.  I would like
to reduct power draw when the unit is not recording or playing.

Either Intel or AMD.  Probably HDHR tuner.

For Intel I so far I am thinking of: E6750 CPU, DDR2 ???RAM - what speed???,
ASUS P5N-e??? P5GC-MX??? other???, nVidea 6200, Case/Power supply???
something simple.

For AMD, I have no idea...

I was thinking of a split frontend backend but I decided to start with a
single box solution for the sake of simplicity while learning MythTV.

I have built many computers but there are so many options and so little
information around on what goes with what that I am having a very difficult
time of it.  The last bunch of computers I built were P4 2.4 on
P4P800E-Deluxe boards.  Way more options now.  Can't figure out how to pick
MB or RAM speed.  Don't understand why the selection guides don't ask what
speed bus I am running, for example.  I would really appreaciate some
guidance here.

Allen