[mythtv-users] PCI Video Card

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 14:18:58 UTC 2008

On 26/03/2008, Stephen Robertson <stephengrobertson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
>  Does anyone have any thoughts on whether adding a seperate pci video
>  car to my EPIA M10K system would do anything for the picture quality
>  using an S-Video output.  What I'm not certain is whether I am hitting
>  limits imposed by S-Video or whether the limit is the onboard graphics
>  of the M10K.  I've seen cards such as nVidia FX5200 and GeForce6 6200
>  here http://www.ebuyer.com/cat/Graphics-Cards-Nvidia/subcat/nVIDIA-PCI-Range
>
>  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
>
>  Thanks
>  Stephen

Stephen,

Maybe it will improve picture quality, maybe it won't.
The trouble is by doing that you won't be using the onboard Mpeg acceleration.
Maybe the XvMC on the nvidia cards will be fast enough over the PCI?
However I can
say from experience that on my 5200 the SVIDEO isn't much to speak of.
Cheers
Steve