[mythtv-users] Vid card recommendation

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 14:21:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>  On Mar 25, 2008, at 11:05 PM, DaveD wrote:
>  > What I like best about my 5200 is that it runs the legacy drivers
>  > which
>  > GREATLY reduces CPU load during playback of HD content AND provides
>  > the
>  > video overlay, which gives brightness/contrast control.
>  > Unfortunately,
>  > my new MB is PCIE and there's no PCIE version of the 5200 (sob).
>  > But my
>  > wife's computer benefits from my old 5200, though....
>
>  The 5300 is essentially a 5200 with a PCI-Express interface.
>
>  Good luck finding one though, they seem to be quite rare.

The new drivers should not require any more CPU than the "legacy"
driver. When I upgraded from my old 5300 to a 6200TC I did not notice
any increase in CPU requirements.  I don't know about
brightness/contrast control, but I never needed it either.

I believe I have my old 5300 laying around, email me off list if you
can't find one through the normal methods.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!