[mythtv-users] commercial flagging questions

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Mar 26 20:22:59 UTC 2008

bungle wrote:
> Ah, I did not see this (there are a lot of menus, but options are good).  I
> will see how much difference it makes (part of the reason I got a
> dual-core).  I assume you mean you run commflagging while still recording?
> I figured eventually I would try that, but I wanted to make sure I didn't
> have some system problem this was revealing.

Yes, I run commercial flagging while programs are recording. (another
setting!!) It's great when you know an hour long program starts at 8,
you can sit down at 8:20 or so and watch the whole thing while
commercials automatically skip by. By the time 9:00 rolls around, you're
done watching and saved yourself 20 minutes before the program started
to do other stuff - like watch a half hour program that was already
recorded. ;)

If you want to get an idea of what kind of speed you're getting, check
the Mythweb Status page while commercial flagging is running. In the Job
Queue section, hover over the job that's running and you'll see the
progress including FPS on that video. Right now I'm getting 54fps on a
SD recording. I think I get about 15-20fps on HD content. Oh, and top
says I'm using 12-15% of one core so I must have it set pretty low.
> Brad DerManouelian-2 wrote:
>
>> Coorect. Not implemented to show commflags in the OSD. You're right - it
>> would be cool. :)
>>

> Standard OSD in GB-PVR had this - it was pretty nice.  I'm sure it's a
> simple as borrowing the code from the cutlist OSD ;)  Seriously, I can live
> without.  It was a good graphical representation of how much of my life I
> was taking back, though.

It gets a little wonky when you're flagging while watching. You have to
keep querying the flagpoints every time the OSD is displayed and display
them in relation to the end of the program. Unlike other OSD's Myth's
progress bar is relative to the end of the video, not to the end of the
recording schedule. So you don't see the full length of the video
represented on the progress bar, just the video that's been recorded.
Nice for when the actual video doesn't match the schedule or you have a
partial video that you've edited down (i.e. cut commercials) but not so
nice for displaying commflag points accurately along the progress bar.
Not impossible, just never been done in myth before.

-Brad