[mythtv-users] minimum specs for PCHDTV-5500?

Jesse Burt genecide at comcast.net
Thu Mar 27 00:24:51 UTC 2008

Mary Strimel wrote:

> And when I play my HD test file, the CPU Mhz goes up to 2000.000.  So I
> guess that means my machine is capable of 2 Ghz.
>
> So, this machine "should" be able to display 720p using xvmc and bob
> de-interlacing, if I am reading the chart on the wiki correctly (thank you
> to the person who pointed me to that)!
>
> But, I am stll confused as to why it  won't play the output from the HDTV
> card.  It looks like my HD test file, which as I mentioned plays
> beautifully, is 1080 (again, assuming I'm interpreting this right).  Here is
> the relevant-looking part of what mplayer says when I play it:
>
> Playing Elephants_Dream_HD.avi.

*snip*

> So why does mplayer do great with this, but Myth croaks on the QAM feed?
>
> Thanks again, in advance,
> Mary

Mary,

Does the HDTV playback just look slow/not smooth or does the playback
look corrupted, made up of lots of little squares of random colors? I'm
not certain by your description of the problem in your original post,
but it sounds to me more like you are having signal problems. If it's
not the signal, I've also found sometimes Myth seems to incorrectly
guess at whether the video is interlaced or progressive (either that or
the format actually does change like crazy), and can result in a similar
appearing picture, although a little more rhythmic. Setting the Video
Scan to either Interlaced or Progressive, as opposed to Automatic,
usually fixes this for me.

Cheers,
Jesse Burt