[mythtv-users] commercial flagging questions

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Mar 27 09:58:22 UTC 2008

* On Thu Mar 27, 2008 at 12:09:41AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Which, I think all boils down to: CC doesn't work so well (at least, in
> the US) because anymore, many (most?) commercials now have captions,
> too.  I'm guessing the implementation in comskip was done at a time when
> assuming the show had CC and the commercials didn't was a valid
> assumption, so it uses that simplistic approach.

I believe that comskip has a list of phrases that it uses to weight
commercials versus non-commercials.  So it's something that gets better
the more you train it with these phrases.  Sort of like what people
are talking about doing with the video in a commercial, but using
the much easier method of just looking at the CC data.  If the phrase
"Milk, it does the body good" pops up, then give that block a few
points extra because it's probably a commercial, but if "book 'em
Danno!" is heard then it's probably not.

--
Chris