[mythtv-users] MPEG-TS transcoding

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Thu Mar 27 13:18:31 UTC 2008

    I recently added a HDHomeRun to my MythTV 0.21 setup.  It works fine,
and will record (unencrypted) programs from my Comcast cable.  The problem
I have is in trying to convert the resulting MPEG-TS files to a format
suitable for burning to DVD (I use Ulead DVD Movie Factory 5).  I've used
mythtranscode to convert the TS file, thus:

mythtranscode -m -e dvd -i infile.mpg -o outfile.mpg

    The resulting file is playable on Power DVD and every other MPEG player
I have installed, where the original TS file is not.  When I import the
file into DVD Movie Factory, the video length is correctly displayed, but
the projected file size is in excess of 5GB (the MPEG file itself is only
2.3GB).  If I continue the authoring process in DVD Movie Factory (which
takes several hours longer than usual), the resulting ISO image is very
jerky.  I've even tried adjusting the compression in DVDMF to match the
MPEG file (3300 VBR) with the same results.  BTW, these are SD, not HD.

    Any suggestions or incantations to produce a useable MPEG file for
DVDMF?  Files from my other capture card, a PVR-350, work perfectly.

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Old Technology	http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/