[mythtv-users] Easy Cable Box Integration

Jeff Clark jeff at vacantcanvas.com
Thu Mar 27 14:55:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>  > On Mar 27, 2008, at 8:29 AM, Jeff Clark wrote:
>  >> I've come to the sad realization that the cable in my area is all
>  >> digital and encrypted and that I need the box for what I want to
>  >> watch.
>  >
>  > I thought they were supposed to, at the very least, make available in
>  > an unencrypted manner the channels that you would be able to receive
>  > via an antenna.
>  >
>  > They should do this either by normal unencrypted NTSC signals or
>  > unencrypted QAM.
>  >
>  > It may still be true that anything you might actually want to watch is
>  > encrypted, but the cable shouldn't be "all digital and encrypted", at
>  > least if you are in the USA.
>  >
>  > beww
>
>  He's being dramatic. In the other thread he determined that he can get a
>  bunch of SD channels with his analog tuner. Now he wants to get the rest. :)

Sad, and partly true.  I thought I could get a bunch of SD channels,
but I'm on a different Comcast network than the guy who said he could
get all of them without the box.  In my area, all you can get is the
OTA channels and some religious channel.

I've just come to terms with the fact that I need to go through the
box until I move and get on a decent cable provider. :(

I'm just trying to find out how to do that efficiently now...

Jeff