[mythtv-users] Easy Cable Box Integration

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 15:10:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Jeff Clark <jeff at vacantcanvas.com> wrote:

> I thought I could get a bunch of SD channels,
> but I'm on a different Comcast network than the guy who said he could
> get all of them without the box.  In my area, all you can get is the
> OTA channels and some religious channel.
>
> I've just come to terms with the fact that I need to go through the
> box until I move and get on a decent cable provider. :(
>
> I'm just trying to find out how to do that efficiently now...

I don't think SD digital cable boxes come with firewire, so the only options
for channel changing are serial or ir blaster.

In my area comcast technicians will not install (and do not even have access
to) boxes with a serial port.  Instead they have much smaller boxes now
which only have a coax input and composite output.  However, I was able to
take those boxes into the comcast office and exchange them there for the
older, larger boxes which do have a serial port.  Of course the comcast
employees will likely have no idea what a serial port is, but at least
you'll be able to check the box you are getting physically to see if it's
there. Remember to take some proof of address other than a comcast bill.

If you don't have a serial port, USB->serial cables work well.  I use two
cables with PL2303 chips, you just have to build it as a module in the
kernel.

You might also be lucky enough to get a box with S-video out, but most just
have composite.