[mythtv-users] Cable box always on

Daniel Arfsten darfsten at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 27 15:44:33 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 22:09 -0500, Mitch Gore wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 9:41 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
> <steve at priorityelectronics.com> wrote:
>

>         >
>         >On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 17:12 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>         >>
>         >> On Mar 25, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Steve Peters - Priority
>         Electronics
>         >> wrote:
>         >> > Hello all. I'm using a channel changer script with an ir
>         >blaster to
>         >>
>         >>

>         >
>         >very much depends on the box: my early foxtel digital (in Oz)
>         is almost
>         >too hot to touch when on, but cool (not cold tho) in
>         standby.  As for
>         >channel change, I just prefix every command with a power on -
>         problem
>         >solved.  However, this box needs a 1/2 second delay between
>         digits so
>         >the more commands sent, the longer it takes to change
>         channel :(
>         >
>         >BillK
>         >
>         >

>         Bill, If you prefix it with a "Power On" command, then what
>         happens when the
>         power is already on? Does it turn the cable box off?
>
>         I thought of that one too, but how would myth know if the
>         cable box was on
>         or off to begin with?
>         -Steve
>

>The remote has a "FOXTEL" button that wakes the box up, but seems to do
>nothing else - so I send that code before each command sequence.
>experiment!

>BillK
You guys must have missed my response but there is a bash script that grabs video from your video source, then converts the mpg to a series of jpeg's, then a program converts the jpeg's into asci characters, then the program parses the asci characters and if it find a certain amount of characters, it'll know whether to send a power on command or not before changing channels. It's really awesome. My STB was turning off once in awhile also, don't know if it's due to updates or some setting in the STB that I can't find. I haven't missed a recording in a long time. here's the link to his script. let me know if I can help more.

http://evuraan.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-to-ensure-set-top-box-stb-is.html