[mythtv-users] Cable box always on

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Thu Mar 27 16:56:50 UTC 2008

>The remote has a "FOXTEL" button that wakes the box up, but seems to do
>nothing else - so I send that code before each command sequence.
>experiment!

>BillK

You guys must have missed my response but there is a bash script that grabs
video from your video source, then converts the mpg to a series of jpeg's,
then a program converts the jpeg's into asci characters, then the program
parses the asci characters and if it find a certain amount of characters,
it'll know whether to send a power on command or not before changing
channels. It's really awesome. My STB was turning off once in awhile also,
don't know if it's due to updates or some setting in the STB that I can't
find. I haven't missed a recording in a long time. here's the link to his
script. let me know if I can help more.

http://evuraan.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-to-ensure-set-top-box-stb-is.html

Ya, i saw your post. Just been too busy to check it out. Hopefully i'll have
some time this weekend to play with it. Luckely, my cable box does not run a
screensaver, nor do i even have the music channels (time warner rock, rnb,
etc...not talking about mtv or vh1) on my box, so i don't think i'd ever run
into one of those exceptions. So i think that sounds like it would work.

But what happens if the channel that the cable box was tuned into goes off
the air for a few hours in the middle of the night? That happens with some
of the smaller stations.
-Steve