[mythtv-users] The Death of MythTV in the US?

Preston Crow pc-mythtv07a at crowcastle.net
Thu Mar 27 20:03:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 15:52 -0400, Eric Mesa wrote:
> First of all, I don't understand the point of QAM cards.
> Everyone on this list seems to always say that all they get are the
> local
> channels in HD.  Can it be that Hauppauge and all those companies are
> including QAM tuners just for that?

Yes, that's exactly what the QAM tuners are for.  A few cable networks
put out a wider range of unencrypted channels.  At least for me, the
public access channels aren't encrypted, but that's about it.

>   It would seem that, where available, it
> would be much better to just use ATSC.

That depends on your antenna and signal quality situation.  Also, some
cable companies recompress ATSC signals to save bandwidth, so using an
antenna is better, but others don't, so the cable signal may be
stronger.