[mythtv-users] Comcast Set-Top Box and OSD

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 23:35:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Jeff Clark <jeff at vacantcanvas.com> wrote:
>  Is there a postitive/negative to using S-Video from the Comcast box to
>  the capture card versus using a coax connection?
>

>  Jeff

Personally, the reason I hooked it up like that as a test was to look
into recording my encrypted, HD channels over s-video.  As I
understand it, you can even instruct the PVRx250 card to record in
widescreen format.  Of course it would still only be SD resolution
(720x480), but until the new HD-PVR or whatever it's called from
Hauppuage comes out, this is the only way to record *any* encrypted HD
content your cable box decodes.  I was doing just fine with QAM here
on Houston Comcast until Food Network (both HD and SD) dropped off.
I'm assuming they started encrypting it.  That happens to be one
channel we do watch regularly :(