[mythtv-users] Questions about new hardware purchase

Fred Firestine ffluvssg1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 15:32:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2008, at 9:02 AM, Fred Firestine wrote:
> >>

> > I was looking into putting one together myself, but I couldn't get
> > prices this low. I guess I am looking in the wrong places? I had
> > priced out parts for a system based on the Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core
> > 4400+ at over $500, and another with Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHZ
> > Desktop Processor for over $600. Total price on the above is $485. I
> > have been trying to do things "on the cheap" as much as possible, but
> > I was hoping this system could handle HD when I get the TV for it. My
> > tube TVs are still going strong.  ;-)
> >
> > Why is it low-end for HD? Are there no hardware encoder/decoder cards?
> > If someone can forward specs for a system under $500, using my PCI
> > capture cards, I'm all for it. Still time to cancel with Dell.
>
> If you're using PCI capture and need to add a sound card you'll be
> limited to one device.
>
> Especially without XvMC support (probable with server class video)
> that CPU might be marginal for HD with Myth.
>
> I'd keep looking. With refurbed hardware you can probably put
> something together for $500, but as always it's better to get what you
> need up front rather than try and fix things later.
>
> Have you checked Dell's "outlet" for refurbs?
>
> beww

Cancelling the order now. I am really glad I checked with you,
although I could have done it BEFORE placing the order I suppose. I
did look briefly at Dell's outlet site, but I was looking at these
servers in particular. I can expand my search, and of course if anyone
has suggestions, links to the Wiki, etc. that would be great. I
started looking at the Wiki but many entries are not dated, so it's
hard to tell how current some of the components are.

Thanks again for saving me some heartache. There will be plenty of
time for that later. ;-)

Fred