[mythtv-users] How hard is it to build an HD MythTV?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 20:08:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 12:33 PM, allene222 <nabble at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:

<SNIP>
> My computer guy is suggesting a E8400
>  (3GHz Core2Duo) and, although that sounds like too much processor, I think I
>  will start there just to be safe.

Just my opinion but I can NEVER have too much CPU in a server,
especially if I want it to last a few years. I have no idea today what
I'll be doing with Myth 1 to 2 years form now. Lots of extra CPU power
get commercial flagging done faster, allows other apps to run on an
SMP kernel, etc. After disk space I'd buy as much CPU as my budget
will allow.

We use a P5E here as a Windows gaming machine. It's the only box we
have that doesn't have Gentoo on it but I really like the motherboard
and the machine went from parts to windows install in under 90
minutes.

- Mark