[mythtv-users] LIRC and IR receiver from irblaster.info

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 30 00:41:11 UTC 2008

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 29/03/2008, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I have an IR receiver from irblaster.info that I had working on my old
>>  FC6/0.20.2 installation.  However, since I rebuilt my box to Fedora 8
>>  x86_64 and Myth 0.21, I can't seem to figure out how to configure LIRC
>>  for it.  I saved off my lircd.conf and lircrc files from my initial
>>  installation and put them back where they belong, but when I start the
>>  lircd service, it fails almost immediately saying (in /var/log/messages)
>>  "could not get file information for /dev/lirc", then "default_init(): No
>>  such file or directory".
>>

> This error is frequently caused by 2 issues:
>
> i) not having the LIRC modules (lirc_serial and lirc_dev in your case)
> loaded/installed before starting lircd, in which case
>
> # modprobe lirc_serial

OK, when I do this, I get: "FATAL: Error inserting lirc_serial
(/lib/modules/2.6.24.3-34.fc8/updates/drivers/lirc/lirc_serial.ko):
Device or resource busy"  Also, I have the following lirc modules
installed on my system (via rpm -qa | grep lirc):

lirc-kmdl-2.6.24.3-34.fc8-0.8.3-74_cvs20080314.fc8
lirc-0.8.3-74_cvs20080314.fc8
lirc-devices-0.8-4.fc8
lirc-lib-0.8.3-74_cvs20080314.fc8

> should sort this out, if the loadable modules are installed. You
> should also make sure you have either in-kernel support for these LIRC
> devices (if using a very recent kernel) or the correct LIRC kernel
> modules installed on your system.
>
> ii) your installation has created /dev/lirc0 but not /dev/lirc
>
> Some software looks specifically for /dev/lirc instead of /dev/lirc0.
> Other software (like lircd) can be given the correct device to use as
> a startup parameter. The naming of these LIRC devices (/dev/lirc is
> usually created as a symlink to the 'real' device /dev/lirc0) is
> commonly controlled via a udev rule for LIRC.

The only device that I have under /dev is /dev/lircd, so based on what
you're saying, this isn't correct, right?  How can I make the device
correct?

Thanks for the help!
Harry