[mythtv-users] Vertical scaling in HD shows

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Sun Mar 30 05:19:58 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/29/2008 10:20 PM, DaveD wrote:
>
>> I bought a new 1920x1200 monitor and now my high def playback is
>> stretched vertically (from 1080 to 1200) to fill the screen.  I've tried
>> setting monitor aspect ratio, vertical size, etc, etc.  The only thing
>> that works is to change the GUI size to 1920x1080 but then I get a bar
>> of desktop showing at the bottom.  I haven't tried setting the vertical
>> scaling to some negative percent because all SD shows are fine.  Anyone
>> else have this problem and/or a solution?
>>

> Sounds like you set the Aspect Override setting to 16:9 and/or set the
> Zoom to Full in TV playback settings.
>
> Mike

Video aspect override: Off
Zoom: Off
Video Playback Profile: Normal
Vertical and Horizontal scaling: 0
Scan displacement (X and Y): 0
Video Aspect Override: Off

In Appearance->Screen Settings I have tried setting Monitor Aspect Ratio
to 16:10 and 16:9 with "Use GUI size for TV playback on and off.  These
settings seem to have no effect, whatsoever.

Nvidia driver finds the monitor, sets the resolution/refresh just fine
with no Vertrefresh/Horizsync settings specified (uses EDID).  My old
19" CRT monitor worked the same way.  There's no problem getting the
resolution.  The problem is that Myth is filling the screen instead of
putting black bars top and bottom.  Xine and mplayer work as
expected/desired.  It's as if Myth is trying to be "too smart" for its
own good and filling the display by stretching the video vertically
(people are tall and skinny, round things are oval).   Same settings
work fine on my HTPC PC, FE/BE, connected via 15-pin analog to a 37" LCD
monitor/TV but it is 1920x1080 and doesn't distort the picture the way
it does on the remote FE computer with the 1920x1280 display.  I'm
wondering if there's something in the backend (with the monitor that
matches the content) influencing the remote frontend's ability to
properly scale the video.  Any ideas?  Or should I submit a bug report?

DaveD.