[mythtv-users] DVB-S Tuner Advice

Dave Whitehead david.j.whitehead at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 13:14:55 UTC 2008

I don't have a linux/mythtv setup at the moment, on my windows setup with a
SkyStar2 BBCHD records with no problems (all it's doing is saving to HHD)
and playback on a E6600 / 2Gb setup uses 20-30% cpu, in fact it's an
excellent card, regularly I have it recording BBC1/2/3/4 at the same time
while watching another channel on the same freq.

I'd stay clear of USB for HD, I'd recommend the Skystar2 at the moment, then
also look at S2 type card later on once it's clear what ITV will do with HD
and a card becomes available thats compatible with HD in the UK

Seeing is a screenshot:-

http://david.j.whitehead.googlepages.com/BBCHD.jpg

Dave

Dave

Any chance you could try to get a BBC-HD stream?

You should be able to record the TS at least (even if it's outside
myth) and see if the card can handle the load, or at least watch a
pretty lightshow as your PC bursts into flames ;)

I'm looking at this as well and the Hauppauge S2 looks like a good
candidate, however they're not known for releasing enough info into
the PD to get stable drivers written (the 500 USB disconnect issue
being a case in point), If you've got a card that'll record the TS
it's then reasonably simple to view the TS using VLC for example.

Regards and Thanks